Thursday, October 28, 2010

U.S.-Mexico 'war on drugs' a failure

I am thankful that I am an American citizen and I would like to protect that. Most of us would. We go and fight in this war thousands of miles away for years trying to protect our freedom. This is nothing new to our country. We have been all over the world fighting our battles and others. It seems like there is always a new cause we are fighting for and no end in sight. We spend unending amount of money feeding the fire of our nation’s real pastime, war.  Now I will admit I don’t know everything. There is a lot of government stuff that happens behind the scenes that I am unaware of. But I do have one question: What about Mexico? Correct me if I am wrong but we are willing to go thousands of miles to help people out, but we don’t even help our neighbors fight the war on drugs and the Mexican Cartel? This is in our backyard people. This is our war.  I mean there is a so called border separating us from our friendly neighbors but has that stopped drugs from getting over onto US soil? No. This is a daunting task. I have seen border wars, the show where they stop one cockroach (drug runner) and 12 million more pop up. This is another form of terrorism. The cartel has no regard for human life and the more south you go the less safe you are. Also, the drugs are coming in at an alarming rate but no one is talking about it. Maybe it is that concept out of sight out of mind. Obama and our nations politicians are in Washington D.C., we are in Texas. From my perspective the government is not doing much to protect our borders from the drugs crossing over and insuring people’s safety. What if this is just a closer version of terrorism (one drug at a time) killing our people. The fear is so bad that reporters in border towns can’t even report the violence for fear of their lives. The media is supposed to be our new source to what is going on. It’s hard to get the news if no one is reporting. My opinion is that the government should do more before this issue crosses the border and heads more inland. We need to plan ahead before it is too late. Not wait for it to become a crisis and then let’s fix it. Prevention is important. But please inform me of your opinions I would love to get closer to the answer and that comes from getting all the information possible. Talk to me people...

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I was actually watching the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and Governor Perry was on and mentioned that he has lobbied two administrations now and he has got nothing from either one of them.(http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/mon-november-8-2010-rick-perry) I do think that the goevrnment needs to look at our own borders and see the real danger that everyone in south Texas is in. I am actually going on a cruise in late January and we are warned about being careful while in Mexico... and come to think of it Saturday Night Live's weekend update brings up how Mexico isn't so safe. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/182722/saturday-night-live-bryan-cranston) I think that you make a great argument, and obviously it's relevant to everyone. Unfortuantely I think it's a topic that doesn't get the coverage it deserves because everyone is worried about 18 million different things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you and I love that you two care about Mexico and the vast problem with drug dealers and cartels, but what is the United States going to fight with? Is it the Mexican cartels or the Mexican government? I grew up in Mexico and I know what I’m talking about: the president and Mexican governors are working with Mexican cartels to get money from the people. Is sad to know that many of us can’t go to Mexico to visit our family and friends and it’s not because you don’t have any legal documents to come back, but because you can get kill the first day you spend in Mexico. But, where is the Mexican government? They are too busy getting the backs of all the Mexican cartels. Mexican government do not arrest the real leaders of the cartels in Mexico, they only arrest members of the cartels that they think can be traitors. I just hope that on 2012 the new president will end it up, just as fast as the last president created these horrible groups of people that tortures people and makes them pay fees for living in Mexican towns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. links to support my comment are:
    http://www.asisucede.com.mx/2009/07/02/enfrenta-la-ase-a-zetas-y-pelones-en-luvianos/
    At the end the government does not let news reperter to say the truth and that is why a lot of news reporters are dead.
    http://eleconomista.com.mx/sociedad/2010/11/08/suman-106-periodistas-asesinados-mexico-sip
    sorry its in spanish but there are no news about it in english.

    ReplyDelete